When You Just Can’t Eat Another Salad, Try This.
I get sooooo tired of salads sometimes. When I feel like I just cannot force myself to eat another, I usually turn to adding a filler such as quinoa, like in this Apple Curry Quinoa Salad. Quinoa offers a welcome addition to the otherwise leafy-green-heavy lunch. The curry dressing packs a punch, and the sweetness of the crunchy apple with the salty cashews adds a level of flavor that can only be described as insane. As in insanely good.
What is Quinoa, exactly?
Quinoa is grown as a grain crop from the amaranth family for its edible seeds. It’s often referred to as a grain, but it’s actually the seed of a vegetable related to Swiss chard and spinach. Quinoa is known as a super food because of its outstanding nutritional properties.
Quinoa contains all 9 essential amino acids, is high in protein and fiber, plus is gluten free. WIN!
Now that we have that out of the way, you can school your dad the next time he rolls your eyes at your “weird health food”. Clearly I know nothing about that. *winks
This salad is my all-time favorite, and can be made in large quantities for a group. I have brought this to work parties many times and have always been met with positive feedback. (Yes, Carol from accounting, I can give you the recipe…) My former office was always requesting that if we did bring food in for parties, that it be healthy. Too much temptation occurs when there is a birthday every other week.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The dressing recipe as written below makes enough for four salads. I usually prepare the full amount and store the remaining on my counter. Then, I can use it on my salads for the entire week. I have a nice reusable salad dressing bottle/shaker that I use for homemade dressings that I love.
Apple Curry Quinoa Salad
- 1 Carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 Apple, your favorite kind, sliced thin
- 2 cups Greens such as Spinach or Spring Mix
- 1 cup Red Quionoa, cooked and cooled
- 2 tbsp Fresh Parsley, stemmed and chopped
- 1/3 cup cashews, halved
Dressing (Makes enough for 4 salads)
- 2 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Curry powder
- 2 tsp Honey
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 c Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Prepare quinoa according to package. Peel and shred carrots. Quarter, core, and slice apples. Mix with greens, parsley cashews, and quinoa.
- Add all dressing ingredients to a shaker or jar. Shake until blended. Pour on salad to taste. Recipe makes enough dressing for three salads.