It’s too cold to go out. make a pot of this broccoli and cheese soup and you’ll be set for two dinners (or more!)
Brrr! In the span of a week, winter finally came in a big way and we were all snowed in. It’s a perfect excuse to make this one-pot broccoli cheese soup to enjoy snuggling next to the fire. If you have 50 minutes, you’ll have family dinner ready for a couple days as this makes enough for 8 regular bowls of soup, or 12 small bowls.
I love one-pot recipes because it makes for easy clean up and usually the outcome is something hot, hearty, and wholesome. This broccoli cheese soup is just that; a one-pot recipe which is super easy for cleaning.
My recipe calls for with three types of cheese and fresh (not frozen!) broccoli. While we are on the topic of broccoli, I have a bone to pick with frozen veggie producers. What is up with the frozen broccoli? The last bag I bought was mostly stems. For broccoli cheese soup, I prefer the florets that shed into tiny broccoli dots all over. It creates an appealing texture and appearance. Don’t get me wrong, I like a good frozen veggie, but for this broccoli and cheese soup, I suggest using fresh.
I wanted to make some crusty bread to accompany the broccoli and cheese soup but ran out of time, so made biscuits instead. Lately, I have been really intrigued with making the perfect biscuit. I grew up on baking powder biscuits, which are basically a drier version of a traditional drop biscuit. When I find the perfect recipe and method I will share it with you. The biscuit recipe I recently tried has a small amount of sugar in the dough, and it was a game changer! YUM.
This soup is just perfect for cold days, and I made a couple weeks after my creamy potato and ham soup. The kids loved both recipes, especially after coming inside from a snowy sledding day!
Save this recipe for later and pin it!
Broccoli & Cheese Soup
- 4 tsbp salted butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 1/2 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 2 cups half & half
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets, chopped small
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups Monterrey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Colby jack cheese
- Using a large stockpot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add diced onions and cook until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle onions with flour and whisk until well incorporated. Add chicken broth while whisking and continue until flour is dissolved. Add half & half, broccoli, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Bring mixture to a boil and stir frequently. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add cheeses, one cup at a time, stirring until melted before adding the next cup. Once all cheese has been incorporated, remove from heat and serve warm.