No, This Isn’t the State Fair. It’s a Deconstructed Meatball Sub That’s Fun to Dip and Eat!
I have such a fun recipe for the family to share today; Meatball Sandwich on a Stick. My kids squealed with excitement when I plopped one of these on their plates. Meatballs have always been a winner in our household, so a new take on them was met with delight. This skewered sandwich is baked and then served with a side of marinara sauce for dipping.
Let’s be honest. Any food on the stick becomes instantly fun, and that is no exception with this meatball sandwich on a stick. The State Fair knows a thing or two about having fun, so it’s any wonder the most popular food served there is on a stick. Don’t worry, I won’t be making deep fried chocolate covered bacon any time soon. *gross
I made my meatballs low cal by using ground turkey. One of the more frustrating parts about having to eat what the kids will eat is the caloric intake, not to mention monotony. The meatballs were a simple blend of ground turkey, homemade breadcrumbs, and herbs.
This Dinner is Seriously Fun
Besides the low-cal meatball on a stick, I have totally failed to mention the other fun part of this dinner; the breadstick “bun”. Say what? Yes, the bread to this meatball sandwich on a stick is actually a refrigerated dough breadstick (we used Pillsbury).
I used short kabob skewers for this recipe, but you can use whatever you have on hand. The shorter version seemed to be easier for the kiddos to handle and dip into their own side dish of marinara sauce.
I was pleasantly surprised how quick it was to make these. Besides the 20 minutes to make the meatballs and thread them on the skewer with the breadstick, they only took 20 minutes in the oven.
Meatball Sandwich on a Stick
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 cups bread crumbs I made my own in the food processor, but you can use store bought too!
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp basil, dried
- 1 tbsp oregano, dried
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 can Pillsbury breadsticks
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- 10 wooden skewers
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- Set your oven to 375 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, bread crumbs, grated Parmesan cheese, salt, garlic, basil, and oregano. Roll into 1″ meatballs.
- Using 1 breadstick at a time, thread one end of the dough onto the end of the skewer, followed by 1 meatball. Repeat this step with a second meatball. Each skewer will have 2 meatballs. The breadstick should form a “S”. Leave room for the bread to rise and the meatballs to cook thoroughly by spreading apart the meatballs away from each other about 1/2 inch. Place finished skewers on baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle each skewer with mozzarella cheese. Place them back in the oven for 1 minute or until the cheese is melted and gooey. Mmmmm.
- Serve with a side of warm marinara sauce for dipping. Enjoy!